Monday, April 12, 2010

Guitarist Series - Otchot Cortes



Otchot Cortes
by Paco Arespacochaga



What would have happened to me as a musician if I hadn’t encountered Otchot Cortes in my life? Maybe, I really wouldn’t be into music the way I turned out to be. I don’t know.

One thing I do know, Otchot thought me how to appreciate music for what it is and for what I could do to alter it. Alter it? WOW!

Otchot Cortes influenced me intellectually. I didn’t care much about his guitar playing style. I was more interested in “why” he came up with a certain part for a certain song. I was more intrigued with his philosophy. I wanted to pick his brains out. He encouraged me to fill my intellect with its own philosophical approach so that my thoughts can permeate through my music, releasing the hook of the song. He was always good at creating the hook!

Every now and then, whenever I think of writing an interesting song or an interesting blog, I simply ask myself… “What would Otchot do?” And from that answer, the choice is mine to follow or go against what his thought process would have been. The results always make me smile!

No comments: