Thursday, September 24, 2009

Review of New Beginnings - INTRoVOYS album

---- blog owner's note: before you begin to read this review. i would like to personally thank Meo for writing such a well written review. please feel free to chime in. and if you don't have the album he's talking about, now would be a good time to purchase it at www.introvoys.net - paco arespacochaga

Here it is...

=============================================

Review for New Beginnings
by Romeo D Garcia


The album is still Introvoys in sound and in spirit. But this time, I think its more mature, with more grit, toughness, and definitely more rock.



I particularly like the new versions of Just A Dream and Calling All Nations. These two songs are supposedly, even in their original versions, an upbeat song. The New Beginnings version gave more meaning and truthfulness to the song because of the extended use of guitars.



I think Tell Me Why is better here than the original version. As far as my ears can hear it, this new version was sung by Jonathan, while in the original, it was Paco on vocals. Sorry Paco, but I like the new version. This new version removes the stereotype that comes along everytime I hear the original version, which for me lacks the maturity and seriousness, more like a teenybopper song. Another song which I feel is better here is More than a Friend, for almost the same reason as Tell Me Why, the new version is more adult, mature, and serious.



Two of the songs in here are from the album A Brighter Day, the first album not to be released commercially in the Philippines . In A Little While is a nice song, although I think the lyrics is not tough enough vis-à-vis the beat and the guitars (I may be wrong, I barely understood the lyrics, hehehe). Meanwhile, Desire is like a feel good song with a spice of rock and alternative music. Still sounds distinctly Introvoys though, but no longer the eye-candy Introvoys, but the real musicians. Kudos guys for Desire… I love it!



As for the other songs, I’d take the original of Di Na Ako Aasa Pa over the New Beginnings version. Why? Because I felt that Di Na Ako Aasa Pa is not meant to be tough and rock. I like the balance of guitars and keyboards in the original version, whereas the new version has more guitars. Secondly, I think being a staple Introvoys song, my music databank in the brains just can’t be more objective, and tend to favor the original. Now for the song Living my Life, what I particularly miss was the guitar adlib of Vic Carpio, although the song is still good. Having said that however, the new versions of Line to Heaven and Kailanman are just all right.



Overall, the album simply wants to introduce a more mature, rock-oriented Introvoys, geared towards adult listeners rather than teenagers, which I think is better and only epitomizes your evolution as musicians. Hope you would commercially release new songs (albums) in the Philippines , and re-introduce yourselves in the Philippine music scene. We are tired of revivals coming from the modern musicians in RP.

=======================================

Paco, it is not an expert's review, just a few cents worth of opinion from a music listener.

Regards,

Meo
ROMEO D. GARCIA, MPA
Research and Advocacy Manager
Employers Confederation of the Philippines

No comments: