Friday, September 18, 2009

PI vs RP… Does It Even Matter?

By Paco Arespacochaga

I was at a client’s place of business today, going over his marketing program. After our business transaction, our conversation shifted to a more informal tone and mode. My client, Atty. Charles Gangloff, commended me of my command of the English language. He inquired if I spoke English the way I did. I said “no”. As a matter of fact, I am quite insecure of my capacity to speak in English – writing in English is a different skill altogether.

Our topic brought us too many digressions. At the end of my visit, he thanked me for actually referring to him as “Atty. Gangloff” or “Mr. Gangloff” as opposed to “hey Chuck!” He is 82 years old, by the way. Anyway, he shared with a story wherein he and his wife entered a restaurant and was greeted by the host with something like this… “Hey GUYS! Whadya havin’ tonight?”

The man studied law and has a Phd. He has been practicing for the last 30 years. He goes to a restaurant and the waitress calls the couple “GUYS”. First of all, Atty Gangloff’s wife isn’t a “guy”. That’s me being sarcastic. The point I’m trying to get across is that; please call somebody by the title they wear. And when in doubt, please refer to them as “mister” or “miss”. Remember, this man spends countless hours and probably sleepless nights reading books and learning how to become what he is… a lawyer. Give him the title by showing some respect.

“Hey man! I’m going to the P.I. (or Philippine Islands) for Christmas!” is not an uncommon statement among Pinoys abroad. However, the correct and formal name of the Philippines is in fact R.P. (or the Republic of the Philippines.)

Filipinos, who live in the Philippines, don’t really appreciate anybody referring to the Philippines as P.I. because that term has long gone. It was a name used by the Spanish Explorer, Ruy Lopez de Villalobos – Las Islas Filipinas, back in the day. But this was during the Spanish era. The Americans translated the name in English, hence the term Philippine Islands. But you see, the Philippines isn’t JUST a group of islands anymore.

We’ve fought hard for our freedom and independence. We’ve established and re-established our own form of government and constitution. We’ve fought hard to make the Philippines a sovereign nation. We are far from being called Las Islas Filipinas.

This being said, it’s just like the story of Atty Gangloff. I say, give credit where credit is due and call it as it is.

The Philippines is a sovereign nation with a people proud of where they are. We’re more than mere Philippine Islands (P.I.)

We are the Republic of the Philippines!

1 comment:

Nella said...

That was a good read! It was a nice reminder to give respect where it was due and it was a good clarification between the P.I./R.P. thing. Now, I am going to correct everybody that says P.I.!!!