Monday, September 14, 2009

Patrick Swayze Died Today

By Paco Arespacochaga

When I read the news about Patrick Swayze being diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer back in March of 2008, my heart sank. Although I didn’t know Swayze personally, I personally knew the disease that took his life today on Sept 14, 2009. As a matter of fact, 18 years ago the same disease claimed the life of the woman my heart loved first… my mother.

Swayze was someone I was cheering on. I wanted him to live! I wanted him to find and experience the cure. I was telling myself that if pancreatic cancer was Mount Everest, I wanted Patrick to reach the summit. Although he didn’t, I am lead to believe that he did his best live through the disease and I admire his courage and will continue to do so.

Before his death, Patrick Swayze cried out to Congress for help. And he wasn’t just crying out for them to help him, he was also crying out on behalf of the people that have been diagnosed with cancer and for the people that will be left behind.

As I bring it home, I am reminded of my mortality and of the time that I have left to spend with my family. After all, I’m not going to get out of this life alive. I will experience death. But that’s not a concern of mine. I’m more concerned about the people I love…my wife and my sons. Will they be left in good hands? Will they have fond memories of our time together?

I’m not fond of reading obituaries. I’m not a big fan of the grim reaper. I know that living forever is boring but so is living a short life. However I look at it, I am compelled to say that the beginning and the end of my life doesn’t really mean anything if I don’t live my life to my fullest capacity.

Today, I am thankful that I have “today”. As far as I know, it’s all I have. And I will take good care of it.

Because someday, a time will come when someone will write a blog entitled:

Paco Arespacochaga Died Today

No comments: