Monday, March 9, 2009

What If You Only Had Today?

What If You Only Had Today…

Would you forgive the people who have done you wrong?

Would you ask for forgiveness from those you’ve done wrong to?

Would you appreciate life more?

Would you spend time dwelling on the past or would you embrace what you have left?

What would you do if you only had today?

With friends dying every year since 2005, I am loudly reminded of my mortality. And as such, I have begun to reflect on my life’s current state and where it is headed if I am given the opportunity to live it longer than today.

First out my “character” door is the proverbial trait… the Mañana Habit. If something important needs to get done, it has to be done as soon as possible. And if I don’t think it’s that important, maybe I shouldn’t waste my energy and time stressing about it. But all of these are subjective and relative to ones own lifestyle. In this case, mine.

I’ve come to realize that what matters most to me is my family. With God being a given priority, my wife and two children come before anything else. This is immediately followed by my passion, which are the creative arts (music, film making and goofing around). I will stop here. It’s really irrelevant to add more to this because everything important really falls under God, Family and Passion.

With God being the center of my life, it should be a given for me to make sure I feed my spirit daily with His Word. Doing so equips me with renewed mental and spiritual strength needed to face the world every morning.

Why should I get up every morning? When I was younger and had parents, I could care less of what went on with the world or with anybody. As long as Mom & Dad provided, I was good! You see, back then, it was all about me… Me… ME! Of course that changed over time. Being orphaned and eventually having a family of my own had everything to do with the need of waking up early every morning. A man’s got to hunt to feed his family. In the 21st century, we call it… 9-5!

And because my family comes after God, and the need to be able to find ways and means to provide food and shelter for them are bare necessities. And because my wife and children mean everything to me, I want to give them more than the basics in life. And I want to secure their future in every aspect.

What father in his right mind wouldn’t want to be around to share insights with his kids and to have relaxing conversations with his wife? I want to be available for my kids when they need me and to be around for my wife when she needs me. I also have to find a way to sustain my provision for them financially, emotionally, spiritually and mentally. This means I need to be both aggressive and creative. And while I would rather be doing this my means of my passion, I must be able to be flexible and provide for my family any which way I can.

However, not sharpening my own saw can lead to a “dull” me. In order for me to cut through the ever tangling trials of life and succeed, I need to be sharp! I need to replenish my inner and outer self. I need to rejuvenate my inner soul!

And I do this by immersing my self in songwriting activities, film editing and scoring or simply reading a book or take on a project.

All these things make me who I am and what I can be.

Who knows? I might write the next hit song which will then give me the opportunity to earn good revenue to provide for my family and their family. And when people begin to ask me to whom I give all the credit to, I’ll humbly say “To God Be the Glory!”

1 comment:

MERCE VENERACION said...

This is great! I hope you will be able to write that song that will surely show God's character, anointing and glory ! Be the next Chris Tomlin or Israel Houghtoon or Tommy Walker , Third Day is my fave though!
Merce Beaucoup!