Tuesday, January 27, 2009

When You Think You Can... YOU CAN!

I once heard someone said that when you think you can, YOU CAN! And when you think you can’t, YOU’RE RIGHT! If you haven’t figured out what that statement meant, I’ll give you 5 more seconds to figure it out.

Time’s up!

Over the past couple of years, I’ve encountered acquaintances and friends who seemed to be carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders, going as far as saying that if they didn't have to carry all those burdens, they would've achieved their dreams. I will not deny that for quite a while in my life, I carried the same world on my shoulder too! Hence, I was always able to empathize with them and condone their state of mind. It always seemed that the problems they would unburden on me were similar to the problems I carried! In situations where friends would come to me to release their frustrations, I would simply listen. I became a temporary relief! I was glad to be of help. However, I realized that what I had to offer was merely a “fix” for me and them! It wasn’t a real solution to the burdens they had because after a day or two, they'd revert back to the state of mind they were in before we sat together.

Now, I’m no councilor so I don’t have the savant and formal degree those people have. However, being a student of the University of Life and of self improvement books, I can say that I’ve become savvier than a 5th grader to figure out how to come up with simple solutions to my own problems.

I’m not going to attempt to turn this article into a book chapter. However, I will commit to leave you with a thought that may get you to your own “A-ha” moment! Let’s begin.

Self-doubt, frustrations, lack of confidence, being too cautious, shyness, etc. are some of the reasons why you aren’t getting what you deserve. Or maybe you are getting what you deserve? Remember what I said in the beginning of this article? If you think you can’t, YOU’RE RIGHT!!! Give yourself a pat on the back for finally getting it!

Think about the previous paragraph thoroughly. You are who you are because of your attitude. And if you disagree with me, which you have every right to, chances are you’re blaming someone else for what has become of you! By the way, blaming other people is an attitude that keeps you in the rut you’re already in.

Tony Robbins said that “emotion comes from motion”. You don’t believe me? Try laughing from ear to ear! I bet you’re going to feel better. However, without the “right” attitude, you’ll throw this valuable thought nugget out the door. Again, it all boils down to your attitude!

Here is your little road map. After reading this blog, examine yourself and ask yourself honestly if you are where you want to be. If you are, how did you get there? Was it by chance, luck or the alignment of the planets or was it because you had the desire, goal and an action plan to get there?

Now if you’re one of those unhappy human beings in this world who is still chasing after his/her dream, ask yourself what is preventing you? Check your attitude! How is your desire level? What Action steps have you taken to kick off your dream? What’s going on?

You see, with a positive or a negative attitude, if you say you can, YOU CAN! And if you say YOU CAN’T? YOU’RE RIGHT!!!

No comments: